Site ColumnsBy Caillan
November 14, 2002 - 12:30 PM
Over the past two nights I've been having trouble getting to sleep (essays...stress...fate of the universe depends on outcome of Latin exam), and so I've been doing some late-night channel surfing.
This usually results in watching lots of ads advertising adult shops or introduction services ("Because you've gotta have friends!") in between trashy shows such as Sheena, but I've actually found myself watching question time in the Senate.
At first I thought it would help put me to sleep, but it's actually become addictive watching the politicians spar with each other. The government backbenchers all ask questions like "Can the minister tell us about his/her wonderful plan to save the planet?" while the opposition ask "Does the minister recall his/her promise on the 12th of January last year to investigate [insert really irrelevant matter here], and what is he/she going to do about it?" At which point the minister looks completely clueless and says they'll investigate, and then throws in a long diatribe about how much they thought the opposition sucked while they were in government.
It's also fun to watch what the people behind the speakers as they try to muster some sort of interest in what they are saying in a vain attempt not to seem completely bored. Ah, democracy;)
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Who is your favourite Voyager villain?
- What was the funniest line in the Original Series?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on November 14, 2000:
- Kate Mulgrew Q&A
Voyager actress Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway) answered questions from fans, one of which revovled around the development of her character.
I've been alternatively happy and despairing. I think, initially, there was great concern about establishing Janeway's command, which in many ways imposed constraints on my performance. No one is to blame for this, that was sort of a done deal—let's get the command in place and then we'll see where we go from there. But I think that there has always been a little hesitation regarding the gender question and where possibly they could've taken that.
- 'Prophecy' Information
The official site released the synopsis for the upcoming Klingon episode 'Prophecy':
Episode 260 sees the U.S.S. Voyager crew take on a new complement of Klingons who believe they may have found exactly what their generations long search was intended for—the Kuvah'Magh—the savior of the Klingon race.
More news can be found in the archives.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! Please participate in our new poll, which asks you to rate 'The Communicator.',
Yesterday was the 47th birthday of Whoopi Goldberg, who played bartender Guinan on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Half a Life' at 2:00pm Eastern Time, TNG's 'The Host' at 8:00pm, TNG's 'The Neutral Zone' at 9:00pm, TNG's 'The Bonding' at 10:00pm and TNG's 'Justice' at 11:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'By Any Other Name' at 10:00am, 'I, Mudd' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Unification, Part II' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'The Abandoned' at 4:00pm and Voyager's 'The Gift' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Explorers' at 06:00 GMT, E4 will be showing the Original Series's 'The Cage' at 14:00 and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Redemption, Part I' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!