News BulletsBy Caillan
March 13, 2003 - 12:39 PM
- Bruce Hyde, who played Lt. Kevin Reilly in the Original Series episodes "The Naked Time" and "The Conscience of the King", is currently appearing in Death of Salesman at the Loading Dock Theatre in St. Paul. A review of the production at the Star Tribune described his performance as one of "unrelenting ferocity".
- Psi Phi's upcoming books list has been updated with covers for Strange New Worlds VI and Genesis Force.
- The latest newsletter of the German fan site TrekZone.de includes a preview of Enterprise, soon to premiere on German television, and an interview with Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher).
- Anna Williams, a senior lecturer in literature at the University of Uppsala, has published a paper on the importance of holonovels in Star Trek, Swedish Radio P1 reported.
- Several reviews of Kate Mulgrew's (Kathryn Janeway) performance in Tea at 5 are available via Totally Kate.
- Monkee has posted her reviews of "Future Tense" and "Canamar" at her web site, awarding the episodes scores of 9 out of 10 and 8 out of 10, respectively.
- Gisele La Roche has also cast a critical eye over "Canamar" at StarfleetCom.net, writing that the actors' performances elevated average material.
All in all it's a good episode but... something is missing and that is originality. I'm not putting down the writer. John Shiban does a great job here with crisp dialogue but the storyline is just too well worn. Still after 35+ years of Star Trek, it's a wonder that we have any new Trek stories at all. Which is why I praise the acting and the directing because Bakula, Trinneer, Rolston, Whalen and Kroeker manage to give this episode some meaning even if the storyline is old hat.
The episode was awarded a C plus in the complete analysis.
- Robert Picardo (the EMH) will be appearing at the Pulp Culture Expo in Auckland, New Zealand, next month. Thanks to 'Year of Hell' for this!