News BulletsBy Kristine
December 12, 2003 - 6:04 PM
- StarTrek.com reported that Visual effects creator Howard A. Anderson, Jr., who is responsible for creating the "beaming effect" on the original series, will receive the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Presidents Award at a February 8 ceremony.
- StarTrek.com also reported that a telescope autographed by Trek stars such as William Shatner, James Doohan, Tim Russ and many others will be auctioned off by Southwest Institude for Space Research. Benefits go to support the Earthrise Project.
- Reviews of Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica are available at Trek5 and Scifi.About.com. Thanks to Jeff and Julia Houston for this news!
- Wired has reported FDA-approved hand-held LED prototypes, known as 'Warp 10's have been used on Navy submarines and in Iraq. The Warp 10 greatly reduces wound-healing time. Thanks to Enterpriser for this news item!
- NASA has reported that Enhanced Vision has created a device similar to Geordi La Forge's VISOR on Star Trek: The Next Generation, called the JORDY (Joint Optical Reflective Display) . The JORDY is designed to help people with eyesight problems that cannot be corrected with traditional glasses. Thanks to Vicky for this news!
- George Takei's autobiography, To the Stars will be on display at a preview exhibit for the Bill Clinton Presidential Library, according to Yahoo! News. Takei included a personal inscription to former president Bill Clinton. Thanks to Enterpriser for this news!
- Decipher will release a new Star Trek CCG expansion set in February 2004, entitled "Necessary Evil." The set focuses on the darker moments in the various Trek series.
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.