News BulletsBy Christian
September 12, 2000 - 6:54 PM
- William Shatner (James T. Kirk) has been seen in a Canadian Public Service Announcement (PSA) encouraging smokers to get help. In the ad, he holds up a cigarette while saying, "As a friend of mine would say: illogical!" The spots are produced by the Canadian Cancer Society. Shatner also hosted a one-hour informercial in the mid-1980s, entitled 'Time To Quit', also giving smokers advice on stopping. Thanks go out to John A.D. Holt for this!
- Zap2It is reporting that UPN managed to land in fourth place in the overnight Nielsen ratings yesterday, thanks to its Monday night comedy block. The net scored an average of 4.6/7 for the night, airing new episodes of 'Moesha' and 'The Parkers', as well as the debuts of 'The Hughleys' (from ABC) and their new show 'Girlfriends'. The other networks are still in reruns.
- Decipher has posted a form for people who want to pre-register for the upcoming DecipherCon 2000 event in Florida.
- And Decipher's Kathy McCracken has written an article on several gameplay issues with the Star Trek Customisable Card Game.
- Michelle Erica Green at AnotherUniverse has put up a new edition of her Hailing Frequencies column, writing about the November two-parter 'Flesh and Blood', the very interesting Trek Origami book 'A Paper Universe', and a round-up of several news items on Trek people.
- According to the German Star Trek Index, Paramount will start releasing 'Voyager' DVDs in Germany soon, including two episodes per DVD. The price will likely be around DM 40 to 50 ($17-$22) per disc.
- The LCARS Computer Network has a new trivia contest, offering you the chance to win a rare Original Series Klingon Stein. A clue for TrekToday readers: 'Charlie X'. Click here to take part.
- GunnLace Magazine has a real-audio interview online with Tim Russ (Tuvok), talking about how his recent CD was received, the Howard Stern performance, Voyager's final season and the comments made by Robert Beltran (Chakotay). It's over half an hour long and a very good listen.
- During the Emmy Awards telecast on Sunday evening, there was a brief shot of Susanna Thompson as the Borg Queen, during a montage of 'great moments' from the past season.
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.