Site ColumnsBy Caillan
August 12, 2002 - 8:08 AM
Well, I'm declaring winter officially over here in Brisbane - I haven't felt cold in weeks (and yes, it does get cold occasionally in the Sunshine State), and today the sun was out in force.
Speaking of the 'Sunshine State,' the Queensland Premier would much rather the state be known as the 'Smart State.' However, in Channel 9's 'National IQ Test' last week, I'm afraid we were beaten by the Australian Capital Territory, according to the results of over 40,000 people collected over the Internet. I wasn't game enough to take part - as soon as those maths questions came up on the TV, I tuned right out.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- What will be the next TNG novel?
- Should Brent Spiner (Data) be offered better roles?
- What happened to the Vorta's biopulse weapon?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on August 12, 2000:
- DS9 Stars To Appear On Voyager?
Voyager executive producer Rick Berman floated the idea of Deep Space Nine characters appearing on the series after the ship returned to the Alpha Quadrant.
"Maybe, towards the last episodes of Voyager, some of the Deep Space Nine people that returned to Earth will get to star on Voyager. [...] If Voyager does get back to Earth, we might be running into characters from a number of different places."
- UPN Future Endangered After Viacom/Chris-Craft Talks End
Paramount Pictures parent company Viacom announced that it had ended discussions with Chris-Craft Industries, which formerly owned 50% of UPN. Viacom had wanted to take over Chris-Craft's stations, which covered approximately 20% of the US television market. As most of UPN's market share came from the 10 UPN-affiliated television stations Chris-Craft operates, the end of talks came as a blow to the network.
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episode 'The Outrageous Okona' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episodes 'Wolf in the Fold' at 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time, with 'Space Seed' at 7:00 p.m.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Return to Tomorrow' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Q Who?' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'The Emperor's New Cloak' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'Caretaker Pt. 2' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'The Menagerie' at 14:00 GMT. Sky One will show TNG's 'Coming of Age' at 17:00 and the Original Series episode 'The Trouble with Tribbles' at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Loud as a Whisper' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'The Enemy' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'The Conscience of the King' at 6:00pm Eastern Time and 'The Trouble with Tribbles' at 7:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Tholian Web' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Patterns of Force' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Samaritan Snare' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Field of Fire' at 4:00pm and Voyager's 'Parallax' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will be showing the Original Series's 'The Menagerie, Part II' at 14:00 GMT, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Heart of Glory' at 17:00, and BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Renaissance Man' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Australia, Channel 9 will be showing Enterprise's 'Acquisition' at 22:30, except in Victoria, where 'Rogue Planet' will be shown. TV1 will be showing the Original Series's 'Requiem for Methuselah' at 23:50. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!