News BulletsBy Caillan
December 11, 2004 - 9:19 AM
- Jason Gladu at andPoP has cast a critical eye over William Shatner's new album, Has Been, which he calls "most surprising release of the year". Here's an excerpt from the review:
On "Has Been," Shatner puts tremendous faith in producer/writer Ben Folds; Folds takes the listener on a musical journey of rock, drunken bomba, spacey introspective jazz, and the occasional spaghetti western stomp. Despite a colourful palate of music, Shatner canít sing worth a damn, but he does have his own spoken word flare which resides somewhere between Captain Kirk and a deranged self-help tape.
Read more at this page.
- At Cleveland.com, Shatner talks briefly about his previous musical effort, The Transformed Man. "The Transformed Man to me was a serious attempt at relating classical literature with the literature of the times, which was the songs that were popular when I did the record," he said.
- If you're going to see Blade: Trinity at the cinemas, keep an eye out for a brief appearance by Shatner. According to TownOnline.com, a clip from Shatner's Esperanto horror film, Incubus, is playing on a TV screen during a scene in the movie.
- The new Trek mobile phone game, Birds of Prey, has received the thumbs-up from Gamespot. Reviewer Steve Palley called it "one of those exceedingly rare media-licensed mobile games that flies in the face of convention".
- TownOnline.com has posted an interview with Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway), in which she talks about Tea At Five, Katharine Hepburn and the Voyager legacy.
- The cover art for SCE: Breakdowns is now available at the PsiPhi Star Trek Book Database.
- The game Star Trek: Klingon Academy is one of many pieces of software available for download illegally on the BitTorrent network, according to an ABC News report.
- This week's Trek Report at IGN includes a review of "Borderland", which was repeated on UPN last night.
- The FOX network is currently casting for new episodes of Trading Spouses and is interested in featuring families who are fans of Star Trek or Star Wars. To find out about the audition process and how to sign up, head over to the show's official web site.
- TrekPulse's Voyager gallery has been updated with screencaps from "Basics", "Macrocosm" and "Alter Ego". The site has also posted a review of "The Phage".
- According to the Swedish Star Trek Database web site, Trekkies 2 will be released on DVD in Region 2 on January 12, 2005.
- Robert Picardo (the EMH) will be a guest on TheFandom.com's radio show on Monday, December 13 at 5:00 p.m. PT. Thanks to 'VRRRM' for this!