Site ColumnsBy Caillan
June 11, 2001 - 2:05 PM
Alas, all good things must come to an end, and I had to come back from my first ever Star Trek convention in Sydney.
It was a fantastic experience, from meeting some of the actors at lunch, to Garrett Wang's hilarious impressions. Every single one of the guests was funny, courteous, and good-natured after singing their names for the 300th time that day.
The fans were fantastic too - and it just made me even more depressed to return to all the fighting that goes on between fans on the Internet these days. If I hadn't known better, I'd swear these were two different groups of people. The fans at the con ranged from children just getting into the show, to convention veterans who had been going for 20 years or more. And it didn't matter whether they preferred TOS or VOY, or thought Picard was a better captain than Kirk - because they were Trek fans who had come to see some of the wonderful actors who had brought these characters to life.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- How would Kirk have handled Q?
- What do you think of the new characters in the DS9 relaunch novels?
- Do you agree with Section 31's policies?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
- Tim Lynch Leaves Us Behind
Well-known Trek reviewer Tim Lynch posted his last ever DS9 review, 'What You Live Behind,' which he awarded a 7. This was also Lynch's last Trek review, as he retired after eleven years of reviewing the various series.
- Louise Fletcher Interview
Louise Fletcher (Kai Winn) talked to Mania Magazine about her experiences with Trek fandom. "One of my sons drove me once to the one in Pasadena," she said. "He and I were both astonished at the length of time people would stand in line to get a picture. I was sort of amazed! I haven't done many conventions so I'm not used to it; I was sort of blown away by it."
- Nana Visitor In Entertainment Weekly
An interview published in Entertainment Weekly not long after DS9's end saw Nana Visitor (Colonel Kira) talking about the possibility of a DS9 movie. "I really doubt there'll be a movie. They'll go from the Next Generation cast to the Voyager cast. Once again we'll be the passed-over middle child," she said. "They could pick us all up from our different worlds, but I don't think it's going to happen."
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Bread and Circuses' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Spock's Brain' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'The Best Of Both Worlds' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'Spock's Brain' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Profit And Loss' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Worst Case Scenario' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Shades of Grey' at 17:00 GMT (with a repeat at 00:00) and Voyager's 'Workforce, Part II' at 22:00 Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Prüfungen' ('Coming Of Age') at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Gravity' at 17:05 ECT and RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Strage Bedfellows' at 18:05. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Assignment: Earth' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Enterprise Incident' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'The Best Of Both Worlds, Part II' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'The Enterprise Incident' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Blood Oath' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Displaced' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Ensigns Of Command' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 23:40, and BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Riddles' at 18:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Worfs Brüder' ('Heart Of Glory') at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Bliss' at 17:05 ECT, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'The Changing Face of Evil' at 18:05, and Yorin will be showing 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan' at 21:05. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!