Site ColumnsBy Amy
April 11, 2001 - 7:24 PM
You may not have known it, but there was a successful coup in Australia today, to the cheers of the nation. Dick Smith and a host of Aussie icons including Dawn Fraiser stormed Parliament House in the early hours of the morning and took over after a brief battle with two over-weight security guards. In the ensuing confusion, itís believed that the Opposition leader, one Kim Beazely, finally ate our PM, one little Johnny Howard. This comes on the same day as starting revelations of just what exactly the Liberals got up to during one of their recent social functions (I gather it involved a lot of leather).
Well, ok Ė itís all false (unfortunately) and all courtesy of Prosh.
Prosh, you see, is a once-yearly newspaper put out by the University of WA to raise money for various charities. Prosh day usually sees hundreds of UWA students take to the streets and shops of Perth, all in various costumes (I was sold my by three girls wrapped in newspaper) to sell the paper for a gold coin donation. Typically there are a few pranks pulled on this day (last yearís was pretty spectacular, if I recall correctly Ė a huge fake UFO was dumped into the Swan River) though I didnít hear of any this year. At any rate, the paper contains the usual university satirical look at politics and life Ė presented with a, how should I put this Ė toilet humour spin. Nonetheless, some of the articles are quite funny, if almost entirely fictional. And, at any rate, it was well worth my $2.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Sunday, April 11, these were some of the Trek Today headlines:
- 11:59 Spoilers Available: The Great link posted the following, courtesy of first issue of 'Star Trek: The Magazine:
We're also going to be doing a millenium episode that takes place completely in the year 2000 on Earth, where we get to follow Janeway's distant, distant ancestor, great-great-great-great-great-grandmother. She will be played by Kate Mulgrew, and it will be a quintessential Star Trek story told in contemporary times.
- 'Strange Bedfellows' Trailers Available: David Reineke of Star Trek Interactive! posted the trailer for the then upcoming DS9 episode 'Strange Bedfellows,' the third Final Chapter episode.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Enemy Within' at 10:00am Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'The Way To Eden' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Angel One' at 12:00pm, 'The Way To Eden' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Tacking Into The Wind' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Parturition' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premier 4 will be showing 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 11:45 GMT and 19:00, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Lonely Among Us' at 17:00 and at 00:30, and BBC Two will be showing DS9's 'Once More Unto The Breach' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing DS9's 'Sons and Daughters' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Alliances' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Channel 9 will be showing DS9's 'Far Beyond The Stars' at 12:00am, while Voyager's 'Nothing Human' will also be airing on the same channel at 12:00, according to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule. One must be wrong, obviously - please check your local listings.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode, 'Mudd's Woman' at 5pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show TNG's 'Justice' at 17:00 (repeat at 00:00) Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, YOR will show DS9's 'Behind the Lines' at 17:15 while NET5 will show Voyager's 'Threshold' at 18:15. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!