Buy StarTrek.TV for $250,000!By Christian
April 9, 2000 - 2:10 PM
Okay, this is only borderline Trek-related, but it's simply too fun to let pass - CNet is reporting that the tiny Pacific Island nation of Tuvalo has made a $50 million deal with the DotTV corporation, allowing DotTV to sell web addresses ending in '.tv'. DotTV will now be paying the country a minimum of $1 million per quarter, meaning the country's income per capita just rose by 50%.
On its web site www.tv, DotTV has already started auctioning dot-tv domain names, which they anticipate will be a hot property in the entertainment world. Below are just some of the prices they're asking for domains you might be interested in:
- StarTrek.TV - $250,000 per year.
- StarWars.TV - $250,000 per year.
- Paramount.TV - $250,000 per year.
- UPN.TV - $250,000 per year.
- Voyager.TV - $250,000 per year.
- Enterprise.TV - $20,000 per year.
- DS9.TV - $5,000 per year.
- TNG.TV - $5,000 per year.
- Trek.TV - $4,000 per year.
- Andromeda.TV - $4,000 per year.
- Star-Trek.TV - $1,000 per year.
Meanwhile, Tuvalu itself is obviously more than happy with this. Lying in the middle of the ocean, it's only export product are a few coconuts, and its 10,000 people have now suddenly seen a dramatic rise in income. They'll probably be able to spend this money in a useful manner, as Tuvalu is actually a country threatened by complete disappearance if the sea level rises any further - discussions are already underway with New Zealand to provide living space for half the Tuvaluans.