Site ColumnsBy Lisa
June 8, 2001 - 10:31 PM
I'm very pleased at the results of yesterday's General Election. A great second term for the Labour Party to continue the work they began in their first 4 years in government
The turnout figures however, are so painfully low, it's frightening. The lowest number of people turned out to vote since 1918 -- when women couldn't even vote. Though the overall turnout figures are still unknown, I've seen estimates as low as 57%. That would mean less people actually bothered to vote than voted for the party that won the election.
And that's a sad state of affairs indeed.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Will we see Captain Archer take comamnd of the Enterprise?
-Have we seen too many characters seeking to embrace their humanity?
-How come the Kazon could fly at wrap but had no water?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are a selection of headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Tuesday June 8, 1999:
- Vintage Sev Trek
In this week's Sev Trek catoon, Captain Picard got a haircut. You can have a look at the (then) new Sev Trek cartoon by following this link.
- New York TNG Marathon
New York's Channel 11 announced that it would be running a Star Trek The Next Generation marathon on July 4th. The marathon was expected to last for 20 episodes. You luck NY Trek fans!
More headlines from that day can be found in our June 1999 archive.
Today is the birthday of James Darren, best known for his role as Vic Fontaine on Deep Space Nine, it's the birthday of James Goldstone, who directed 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture.'
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'The Omega Glory' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Ultimate Computer' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Sarek' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'The Ultimate Computer' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Playing God' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Distant Origin' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Peak Performance' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 23:30. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero - Teil 2' ('Unimatrix Zero, Part 2') at 20:15 CET.
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Strange Bedfellows' at 18:05 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'Bread and Circuses' at 10:00 a.m EST. The Next Generation's 'Menage A Troi' will be shown at 11:00 a.m. DS9's 'Playing God' is at 12:00 p.m followed by Voyager's 'Distant Origin' at 1:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing the Next Generation's 'Peak Performance' at 17:00 GMT. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the original series' 'Die Reise nach Eden' at 14:00 ECT. Voyager's 'Verheerende Gewalt' will be shown an hour later at 15:00.
- In Australia, Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule