Site ColumnsBy Christian
March 8, 2001 - 5:26 PM
I finally saw 'Frequency' yesterday, after missing it when it appeared in cinemas. Fortunately it doesn't seem like a film that lost a lot in the move from the big to the small screen, and if I hadn't just gone to see 'Crouching Tiger' a few weeks ago I'd have said this was the best film I'd seen in a long while :).
But even with a position as second-best recent film it's still really good. Many of the ways in which the timetravel issue was handled were very original (I wasn't expecting John to remember both the 'old' and the 'new' timelines), and I certainly wasn't expecting the ending, though I'm not really sure yet if I found that very believable. It's also a pity they couldn't just end the film after the bad guy was killed - the baseball scene at the end just seemed to be added on for no real purpose. Great film, but a disappointing end.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Now that 'Human Error' has aired, there are of course lots threads discussing the episode in the Voyager forum. First of all, read da Woim's review or RoJoHen's review. If you disliked the episode, look at this thread, while if you're already having second thoughts about disliking it, check out this one.
-What are some of DS9's overrated episodes?
-And in the Science Fiction & Fantasy forum: what is your favourite sci-fi show theme song?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Here are some of the headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Monday the 8th of March, 2001:
- Stanley Kubrick Passes Away at 70 - A day earlier, the legendary director of films such as 'A Clockwork Orange' and '2001: A Space Odyssey' passed away at the age of 70.
- Final Voyager Episodes of the Season -Jason Davidson's Star Trek News page posted some rumours on the two last episodes of Voyager's final season. 'Warhead' at the time was said to deal with Neelix, Chakotay and Torres having to divert a Malon freighter into a star before it would spill its waste, while the season finale (which turned out to be 'Equinox') was rumoured to feature Species 8472.
- Patrick Stewart Coins Trek X Plot Idea - Speaking to the Brazilian Sci-Fi News Magazine, Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) said, "Brent Spiner and I have a very simple idea for plot of the next movie. It is a good idea. I can describe it to you in three sentences. Rick Berman actually knows about it". Stewart did not actually utter these sentences at the time, but he likely referred to an idea he coined a few months earlier about making an 'Insurrection' sequel. Of course, with the new script being written by John Logan this idea apparently never developed into anything firm.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting, everyone - this was probably the most popular poll we've ever had.
In the new poll, you're asked what you thought of yesterday's new Voyager episode, 'Human Error':,
Yesterday was the 35th birthday of Jonathan Del Arco, who appeared in two episodes of TNG as Hugh, and who recently played Fantome in 'The Void'.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing TOS's 'The Enterprise Incident' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'The Haunting of Deck Twelve' at 5am, TOS's 'The Deadly Years' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'Phantasms' at 12pm, DS9's 'Time's Orphan' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero, Part 1' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Home Front' at 1700 (repeat at 2330) Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, VOO will show DS9's 'The Assignment' at 1715 while Voyager's 'The Cloud' will be broadcast on Net5 at 1840 Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Paradise Syndrome' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero, Part One' at 4:00am Eastern Time, the Original Series' 'Obsession' at 10:00am, TNG's 'Dark Page' at 12:00pm, 'Obsession' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Sound of her Voice' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Caretaker, Part One' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Paradise Lost' at 17:00 and at 02:00 GMT. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing Voyager's 'Tsunkatse' at 20:15 CET.
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Trials and Tribble-ations' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Eye of the Needle' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!