Site ColumnsBy Lisa
July 7, 2002 - 3:18 AM
I was driving along today, as you do, minding your own business, down the high street. Suddenly a car a bit ahead seemed to emit a great banging noise, and then it slumped down on to its right hand side. I looked out to see what had happened, and it seems that a hole had suddenly opened up in the middle of the road. I guess the bang must have been the car's suspension reacting to - or breaking under - the stress of this rather unforseen obstacle.
The hole was pretty big, and rather deep. About half a car width. The road is the main route through my town - an 'A' class road, but I guess that only has meaning to Brits - and fully tarmaced.
I thought at first that the hole might have appeared because this area of England is riddled with old mine shafts. My sister had one in her backyard once - the house has since been knocked down by the Council due to said mine-shaft. Subsistence is a great problem in this area, with many old buildings needing special measures to support them. I went past a little later, and there was a water company van parked next to the hastily-erected barriers around the hole. So perhaps it's something to do with a water main.
But it was a very odd experience. You don't expect the road to suddenly vanish beneath you, really. I do hope this doesn't become a regular thing.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-What would a Trek movie with an all-new cast be like?
-Pick your favourite alien race.
-Are you happy with the Enterprise theme song yet?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Metamorphosis' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Too Short a Season' at 11:00am, DS9's 'Who Mourns for Morn?' at 12:00pm, and Voyager's 'Imperfection' at 1:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Perfect Mate' at 15:00 GMT, 'Imaginary Friend' at 16:00, and Voyager's 'The Fight' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing the Original Series's 'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky' at 19:30, TNG's 'The Mind's Eye' at 20:35, DS9's 'Defiant' at 21:30, and Voyager's 'Deadlock' at 22:30. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the movie 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' at 5:00 p.m Eastern Time, with 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock' at 7:30 p.m. The Next Generation episode 'Chain of Command (Part I)' will be shown at 10:00 p.m, with 'Chain of Command (Part II)' at 11:00 p.m.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing will be showing an Enterprise episode at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time - sorry, spacecast.com seems to be unclear about which episode at the time of writing. :) The movie 'Star Trek: Insurrection' will be shown at 9:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show the TNG episodes 'The Next Phase' at 15:00 GMT, with 'The Inner Light' at 16:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!