News BulletsBy Michelle
January 4, 2006 - 11:18 PM
- The latest in the "insane rumours department" concerning the eleventh Star Trek film: Digital Spy has reiterated an internet story that Academy Award winner Tom Hanks may play a role in Star Trek: The Beginning, citing his previous collaboration with screenwriter Erik Jendresen on the miniseries Band of Brothers.
- ABC Australia reports on the death of character actor Vincent Schiavelli, who appeared in The Next Generation's "The Arsenal of Freedom." His most famous role was in the Oscar-winning One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Louise Fletcher (Winn) and Brad Dourif (Suder).
- The online store for A&E is selling a DVD exclusive of the Agatha Christie's Poirot episode "Cards on the Table" starring Alexander Siddig (Bashir).
- StarTrek.com has a collection of obituaries of Trek luminaries who died in 2005, including James Doohan (Scotty), Brock Peters (Joseph Sisko) and Michael Piller.
- The official site also has a Year In Review for Star Trek including coverage of Enterprise's last episodes and William Shatner (Kirk)'s numerous newsworthy moments.
- Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) has been chosen as one of 2005's 10 sexiest persons at the Israeli site NRG. The Hebrew caption under Blalock's photo reads:
Until recently an uptight Vulcan on Star Trek: Enterprise, Jolene helped to raise the morale among the geek community. Since the cancellation of the show she resolved to dispose of her clothes indefinitely, a decision which we all support."
- The Netherlands' InfoWorld reports that communicator badges are available from Vocera Communications Inc., but the Star Trek-reminiscent hands-free, voice-activated badges are most popular at hospitals where instantaneous communication is critical.
- Fans can now get all ten Star Trek special edition feature film DVD sets in one package, notes Moviehole.
- At midseason, reports Variety, CBS is leading the other networks on the strength of the CSI franchise and several new series, despite the mediocre ratings that led to the cancellation of Brannon Braga's Threshold.
- Sev Trek is still out of phase!
- Star Trek Online has an update on development, noting, "We have our first character modeled, which is a female Vulcan."
- Perpetual also has A Holiday Story from game story lead Mike Stemmle describing the state of the galaxy in the Star Trek Online era.
- In other gaming news, Trek Core has new screenshots of the cancelled game Star Trek: Borg Assimilator.
- The Salt Lake Tribune has an article on wedding options in Las Vegas, which includes a Star Trek themed wedding at the Las Vegas Hilton, the cost of which "varies depending on how many aliens you want standing with you."
- Speaking of Las Vegas, BusinessWire has two photos of New Year's Eve on the Las Vegas Monorail with Klingons and fans.
- And the Las Vegas Hilton, home to Star Trek: The Experience, was written up in The Las Vegas Business Press, which said that one of its vice presidents, Ira David Sternberg, had downplayed reports that the attraction would be getting the boot when its contract expires in 2007. The hotel is undergoing a $20 million-plus phase of renovation on the gambling floor "previewing the coming attractions, usually via the traditional Vegas enticement of buxom women."
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.