Site ColumnsBy Caillan
September 3, 2001 - 10:16 AM
I was forced to translate some really, really bad Roman comic "humour" today - in fact, it was so bad, I really have to share it with you.
The following is an extract from one of Plautus's plays:
Mercury: What are you saying? You are lying, most arrogant one. You are Sosia? I am Sosia! Don't come here with your second-hand tricks!
Sosia: More precisely, I come here with a second-hand tunic, not tricks!
Mercury: But you are lying! For in fact you came by feet, not by tunics!
Pure comic genius, isn't it? Someone must have liked it...;)
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- If there was a DS9 movie, should it involve Section 31?
- Which species don't you want to see in Enterprise?
- Do you play the Trek Customisable Card Game?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news headlines on September 3, 1999:
- Eon Rick Berman Interview
Current head of the Trek franchise Rick Berman talked to Eon Magazine about Series V, strongly denying any plans for a 'Starfleet Academy' series. "I can tell you definitely that I am in very involved discussions with a studio right now about what direction the next STAR TREK TV series is going to go," he said. "These are discussions that have narrowed to some degree, but What, Where, When – none of these things have been decided. We are in no way considering a STARFLEET ACADEMY show. A STARFLEET ACADEMY show [...] if I had the time and inclination, I would describe to you why that would be a very bad idea." Of course, the next Trek series turned out to be Enterprise which premieres on September 26 on UPN.
- Voyager 'Home Fires' Episode Info
It was reported that Paramount sent out a casting sheet for a Voyager episode entitled 'Home Fires' to be directed by Mike Vejar. The characters included a Starfleet officer called 'Harkins' and an 'Admiral Jenkins.' Also, it was separately reported that both Barclay and Troi would be appearing on the series. Both these tidbits turned out to be from the episode 'Pathfinder,' an Earth-centred episode that dealt with the attempt by Barclay, Commander Harkins, and others at Project Pathfinder to contact Voyager in the Delta Quadrant. The 'Jenkins' role was re-written to feature Admiral Paris, father of Voyager's helmsman, Tom Paris.
More news items can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'And the Children Shall Lead' at 10:00 a.m Estern Time, with a repeat showing at 2:00 p.m. At 3:00 p.m The Next Generation episode, 'Gambit, Part one' will be shown, followed by DS9's 'Body Parts' at 4:00 p.m. Voyager's 'Riddles' will be shown at 5:00 p.m, with a repeat at 11:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing the Next Generation episode 'Unification, Part Two' at 17:00 GMT. Voyager's 'Future's End, Part One' will be shown at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the Next Generation episode 'Das Experiment' at 16:00 ECT.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Metamorphosis' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Is There In Truth No Beauty' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Gambit, Part II' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Broken Link' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Dragon's Teeth' at 5:00pm, with a repeat at 11:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'A Matter Of Time' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 01:00. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Tsunkatse' at 18:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Die Rettungsoperation' ('Legacy') at 16:00 CET.