Galaxy Ball ReportsBy Christian
November 3, 2000 - 12:06 AM
On the 14th of October, Robert Beltran (Chakotay) hosted this year's edition of the annual Galaxy Ball, a charity event benefiting the Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles. As last year, many other Trek stars also attended, including most of the male Voyager cast, Michael Dorn (Worf) and Jonathan Frakes (William T. Riker).
Also like last year, one of the people present at the Ball was regular TrekToday contributor Jeff 'Koganuts' Koga, who sent in the below photo impression of the ball, looking mostly at the silent charity auction that took place. With this auction, the Ball managed to take in over $40,000 for charity. Here's a short listing of some of the more interesting items that were auctioned off, as reported by Jeff:
- Two Voyager crew caps: $1,800.00 and $1,700.00
- A Voyager set tour (originally for two people, but as the bidding
grew more intense, it was upped to four people): $9,000.00
- Two tickets via Southwest Airlines to Las Vegas and two tickets for
Star Trek: The Experience: $500.00
- A Voyager blanket (I missed the description of this): $400.00
- Shirts worn by Voyager male castmembers (Beltran, McNeill, Phillips, Picardo, Russ, Wang -- the highest bidder got the shirt of her choice, the next-highest bidder got to pick next, and so on): $2,300.00 was the highest bid!
Thanks go out to Jeff 'Koganuts' Koga for this report!
In related news, a report of the Galaxy Ball is now also available at the Mothership, featuring several high-quality photos of the attending cast members. This report was written by Albert L. Ortega.