Site ColumnsBy Lisa
August 2, 2001 - 3:15 PM
Well, besides being back from a week in sunny Blackpool, I have also returned from Hell. Literally.
The brand new ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is called 'Valhalla,' which is of course, Viking hell.
Its a fantastic ride that involves getting into a rather rickety looking Viking longboat and getting very very wet as you twist and turn along the track. Glowing red eyes and maniacal looking Vikings stare out from the darkness, with some very funky lightning effects.
The best bit of the ride however, is the way it affects your other senses. You see, the ride really does smell like old Vikings. Anyone who has been to the Jorvik museum in York will know exactly what I mean. The spectacular part of the ride is what it does with temperature.
Suddenly you start to realise that things are getting unbearably hot. And then you realise that the cool flame effects over there are not effects at all, but there is real fire billowing out of a simulated crack of hell mere inches from your face.
Then, when the heat is just too unbearable, you enter a room that is very very cold. And it gets colder, and colder, and then it begins to snow.
I guess it really does snow in hell.
The three of us disembarked our longboat soaked to the skin and very impressed with the ride. Thank goodness it was a blazing hot day and dried us off quickly.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Have a retrospective look back at Voyager's Message in a Bottle and Hunters.
-Try your hand at some Trek Anagrams.
-Has anyone else noticed a certain similarity in Trek hairstyling?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below is a selection on headlines from TrekToday on Monday August 2, 1999:
- Jammer Reviews Voyager Season 5
Jamahl Epsicokhan took a look at Voyager's fifth season over at St-Hypertext.
It's too bad Voyager can't hold up when one steps back and looks at everything, because the paradox is that I find the series still supplies reasonable, enjoyable entertainment in short bursts. The indictment, I think, is that it could and should supply a lot more than that.
You can find the full analysis here.
- Star Trek Books Database Opens
What remains the internet's largest searchable resource on Trek books, the Star Trek Book Database opened today at Psi Phi. The site opened with the following message:
Welcome to the Star Trek book database. Here you will find information about the novels, reference guides, biographies, and other books from the Star Trek series. Included for each book, where available, is a cover image and the back cover text. Some books also have a message from the author, and others have more detailed descriptions or links to other books.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'The Menagerie, Part II' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Alternate Factor' at 10:00am Eastern Time, repeated at 4:00pm, TNG's 'The Next Phase' at 12:00pm, DS9's 'The Way Of The Warrior, Part I' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Nothing Human' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Loss' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 01:10. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Fair Haven' at 18:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Auf schmalem Grat' ('The Enemy') at 16:00 CET.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Pathfinder' at 17:10 CET, and RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Afterimage' at 18:00. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Channel 9 will be showing TNG's 'The Best Of Both Worlds, Part II' at 11:55pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original series episode 'Amok Time' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time, with a repeat at 4 p.m. At 12:00 a.m, the Next Generation's 'Times Arrow, Part Two' will be shown, with DS9's 'Hippocratic Oath' at 5:00 p.m. Voyager's 'Latent Image' will be shown at 10:00 a.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show the Next Generation's 'Devil's Due' at 17:00 GMT. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Nederland 2 will show Voyager's 'Virtuoso' at 18:00 ECT. Deep Space Nine's 'Treachery, Faith And The Great River' will be shown on RTL5 at 18:00. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!