In Wake of Cancellation, Fans Fight For 'Enterprise'By Michelle
February 2, 2005 - 11:11 PM
Within hours of the announcement that Star Trek: Enterprise had been cancelled by UPN and Paramount, fan organizations announced that they would continue to fight for continuation of the series.
Both SaveEnterprise.com and The Enterprise Project announced plans for ongoing campaigns to keep the show on the air, possibly on a network other than UPN, which fans have complained has never given the series proper promotion.
"Although the official word came down from UPN and Paramount today that Star Trek Enterprise was canceled, nothing has changed with the Save Enterprise campaign," wrote Tim Brazeal, the founder of SaveEnterprise.com. "Have the fans let the show down? Not in any way. The failure of Enterprise on UPN is because of UPN. You have to promote something in order to get it on the market and this is where UPN failed."
Brazeal quoted series star Scott Bakula (Captain Archer) as having said that Enterprise was "a weight around UPN's neck" and expressed hope that Paramount would shop the series to another network. "We have a campaign to collect funds to run ads in nationwide papers. This will continue on," he said, asking fans to continue to write to Viacom Co-President Leslie Moonves to tell him that fans want to see the series continue even if UPN will not broadcast it.
MJ Rogers of The Enterprise Project echoed similar sentiments. "To quote John Paul Jones, I have not yet begun to fight," she said, announcing that The Enterprise Project will now begin working on a "campaign to Bring Back the NX-01."
"We hear, 'Trek needs a break'...Trek does not need a break. Its current incarnation does not need a break," she insisted.
Information on fan efforts to keep Enterprise on the air can be found at SaveEnterprise.com and The Enterprise Project, which are currently running a joint fundraising campaign for national advertising.