Site ColumnsBy Christian
April 1, 2001 - 11:22 PM
Our crown prince is getting married! Everyone here in the Netherlands has been really excited ever since Friday morning, when all the newspapers were reporting Queen Beatrix would address the nation at 6 in the evening, followed by a speech by the prime minister. After all the speculation over the past year, everyone then already pretty much new the engagement would be announced, but it was still great to actually see it happen.
The announcement was made from the library of the Queen's working palace in the Hague, and started with the Queen and her husband giving their best wishes. After that, the crown prince's bride, Maxima, actually got to speak and it was amazing to hear she spoke in almost flawless Dutch - she's Argentinian, so it's very surprising how well she learned to speak the language in just two years.
After the announcement crown prince Willem-Alexander and Maxima made a 'spontaneous' stroll through the Hague, really melting everyone's hearts. The wedding itself isn't until January, but until then the couple is going to go out and meet the Dutch people - I never thought I'd actually want this, but I'm really hoping they'll come to Utrecht too - I'd go out and stand in line to shake their hand in a heartbeat.
Meanwhile, apologies go out for the lack of any Site Columns yesterday - I was doing battle with an unwilling ADSL line at the time, so wasn't actually able to connect to the net.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-What is your favourite Star Trek episode teaser?
-Does Star Trek X have to be far greater than 'First Contact' to succeed?
-Is it Starfleet or Star Fleet?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the headlines from Thursday the 1st of April, 1999, when I managed to fall for just one April Fool hoax.
- Sat.1 Showing Fifth Season In May - The German Star Trek Index reported Sat.1, which only recently was considering cancelling 'Voyager' altogether, would now instead begin airing the show's fifth season early. The next day, this turned out to be a hoax by the site.
- Trek Toy News - The Raving Toy Maniac reported that the new 4.5" and 9" Trek action figures were selling quite well, which was very important for determining the future of the Trek line. Unfortunately, it apparently still didn't help enough, as a few months later Playmates closed down its Trek line.
- Insurrection Second-Lowest Grossing Trek Film Ever - I wish this had actually been that year's April Fools hoax, but unfortunately it wasn't. 'Insurrection' had almost ended its run at American theatres, ending with a final gross of just about $70.1 million and defeating only 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier'.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! The new poll actually deals with the Site Columns, and asks which part of them you find the most interesting.,
Today is the 71st birthday of Grace Lee Whitney, who appeared in several episodes of the Original Series as Yeoman Janice Rand.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Savage Curtain' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will undoubtedly be showing several Star Trek episodes, beginning at 10:00am Eastern Time, but at the moment their online schedule for April is not yet available.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will begin another TNG repeat run by showing 'Encounter At Farpoint, Part One' at 17:00 and at 23:30. At 20:00, they'll be showing the new Voyager episode 'Body and Soul', while at 23:00 home shopping channel QVX will be repeating their Star Trek special. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Children of Time' at 17:15, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Parturition' at 18:35 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!