Last year, fans were unhappy with the lack of extras on the Star Trek into Darkness Blu-ray release, but a new release of the movie this fall should fix the problem.
Star Trek: The Compendium will be released September 9.
When the original Blu-ray edition of Star Trek into Darkness released last year, fans found that not all the extras were available in the release, but only available by purchasing multiple copies of the movie; something hardly reasonable.
Paramount listened to the fan complaints and a new four-disc set (which also includes Star Trek 2009 on 2 discs including the special features for that movie) includes:
Star Trek into Darkness Disc One:
- Star Trek into Darkness SE (IMAX version of the film)
- Enhanced audio commentary with J.J. Abrams, Roger Guyette, Tommy Harper, Michael Giacchino, Maryann Brandon, Mary Jo Markey, Dan Mindel, Bruce McClearly, Bryan Burk, and Damon Lindelof. This was formerly only available via iTunes.
Star Trek into Darkness Disc Two (Blu-ray extras):
- Seven featurettes from the other release (Creating the Red Planet, Attack on Starfleet, The Klingon Home World, The Enemy of My Enemy, Ship to Ship, Brawl by the Bay, and Continuing the Mission)
- Six Target exclusive featurettes (The Voyage Begins… Again, Rebuilding the Enterprise, Vengeance Is Coming, Mr. Spock and Mr. Spock, Kirk and Spock, and Visual Affection)
- Six Best Buy/Cinema Now exclusive featurettes (Down with the Ship, National Ignition Facility: Home of the Core, Safety First, Unlocking the Cut, The Sound of Music and FX, and Aliens Encountered).
- Deleted scenes (new)
- Photo gallery (new)
- Gag reel (new)
- Featurette: Fitting the Future (film’s costumes) (new)
- Featurette: Property of Starfleet (props) (new)
Purchasers will also get UltraViolet digital copies of both films.
Paramount is said to be working on a rebate offer for those who purchased the original Star Trek into Darkness Blu-ray release. TrekToday will update readers on the rebate once details are finalized.
The new set will sell for $39.99 but that is the SRP and Amazon or other retailers will probably discount the price of the set.
The full press release from Paramount can be seen at the bottom of the article by The Digital Bits, which is located here.