A new Star Trek into Darkness app will be released at the end of January.
The app will “deliver exclusive content and advanced real world game experiences,” and fans watching this year’s Superbowl will be able to unlock content during a Star Trek into Darkness Superbowl ad.
According to a press release, the app’s “cutting edge technologies are being showcased in a never before-seen way and will enable users to automatically engage with a wealth of movie related materials by utilizing their real-life surroundings to auto-complete integrated missions by employing audio scan, geo-location recognition, and image recognition functionality powered by Qualcomm Vuforia.”
During the second quarter of the big game, the app will allow users the ability to unlock the first of many surprises during the airing of the Star Trek into Darkness TV spot, making this one of the most unique and interactive apps ever created for a movie. As a bonus, users who register for the app will be automatically entered into a sweepstakes for the chance to win a VIP trip to the U.S. premiere.”
What users can expect from the app:
- An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching Star Trek into Darkness content on TV and other media.
- An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world.
- A geofencing function for location-based experiences.
- New Star Trek into Darkness content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices.
- Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users.
- One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the Star Trek into Darkness U.S. premiere.
“We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you,” said Dr. Jacobs, Chairman and CEO of Qualcomm. “By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.”
To sign up for the app and enter the sweepstakes, head to the link located here.
Source: PR Newswire