Trek Programming At Comic-Con 2010Posted by T'Bonz - 19/07/10 at 11:07 am
Star Trek fans attending the sold-out Comic-Con in San Diego beginning this Thursday will have plenty of Trek-related activity to keep them busy.
Writers and producers, actors, directors and authors involved in some way with the Star Trek franchise will be making appearances at the San Diego Comic-Con 2010 in a variety of panels.
- 2:30-3:30 State of the Geek Report. A panel of experts examine the state of science fiction, fantasy, and horror in film and TV, from the living-ever-longer-and-prospering Star Trek franchise to the future of Star Wars to what the success of Avatar means for the future of movies. Room 4.
- 3:00-4:00 Masters of the Web. Hollywood Writer/Producer Roberto Orci and writer/director Edgar Wright moderate and AMC Theatres Blog Editor John Campea hosts a panel of the most popular movie website personalities as they come together to discuss how new media has influenced movie-making and marketing, what it takes to run a popular site, and much more in a panel discussion and Q&A session. Room 32AB.
- 3:30-4:30 Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries— A discussion with geek gods J. J. Abrams and Joss Whedon on the future of pop culture. EW presents an in-depth conversation with these two creative geniuses about how technology, gaming, and global culture are reshaping how we tell and consume stories on television, film and the web. Hall H.
- 4:00-5:00 From Screen to Comics— An in-depth look at what it takes to turn big-screen action into 32 pages. Talented creators from across the spectrum, including Max Brooks, Nancy Collins, Peter David, Tony Lee, and more, look behind the scenes at some of the biggest properties to come to comics, such as True Blood, Doctor Who, The A-Team, Transformers, and Star Trek. Room 9.
- 4:30-5:30 Behind the Music with CW3PR: Composing for Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Film & TV— Award-winning composers Michael Giacchino (Lost), Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman (Heroes), Nathan Barr (True Blood), Jim Dooley (Pushing Daisies), John Ottman (Superman Returns), and Jeremy Zuckerman (Avatar: The Last Airbender) have all composed for Comic-Con’s fan-favorite movies and TV series and are here to share a behind-the-scenes perspective on creating music for television and film. Together they will discuss their respective projects and how they got their big break into the music composing industry. Room 24ABC.
- 10:15-11:15 Aloha, Earth!— Lost castaway found! Battlestar Cylon becomes human! Star Trek writers return from space! A supernatural force has drawn some of sci-fi’s giants back to Earth — and they’re all gathering on a beautiful and mysterious island in the Pacific. It’s Hawaii Five-0, a modern-day re-imagining of one of television’s most beloved and iconic classics. Executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and Peter M. Lenkov, director Len Wiseman, and stars Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park present an exclusive sneak peek at the series. Room 6BCF.
- 12:45-1:45 The Big Bang Theory— It’s “Anything Can Happen Friday” at Comic-Con as The Big Bang Theory, which kicks off a new night of comedy on Thursdays for CBS this fall, returns to Comic-Con with a special screening and Q&A featuring the show’s creators and stars. Resident Big Bang alum Wil Wheaton moderates a lively discussion. Ballroom 20.
- 1:30-2:30 SHIFTing Gears: Tim Kring and Zach Quinto— Tim Kring (creator of Heroes) and Zach Quinto discuss Tim’s new venture into book publishing with his book, Shift, the first novel in the Gate of Orpheus trilogy. Room 5AB.
- 4:30-5:30 Archaia: Lucid— Lucid, the first comic book project from Archaia’s partnership with Before the Door, is finally here! Lucid creator and writer Michael McMillian (True Blood) and BTD partners Zachary Quinto, Neal Dodson, and Corey Moosa share cool, behind-the-scenes info and other interesting tidbits about the making of the comic. Moderated by Archaia editor-in-chief Stephen Christy. Room 25ABC.
- 5:00-6:30 Scribe Awards/Media Tie-in Writers Panel— Presenting the fourth annual International Association of Media-Tie-in Writers (IAMTW) “Scribe” awards, honoring such notable franchises as CSI, Criminal Minds, The X-Files, Star Trek, Stargate, Star Wars, and Dr. Who. Trek authors Keith R.A. DeCandido and Dayton Ward are two of the nominees. Room 4.
- 12:00-1:00 IDW Publishing: Infestation 2011— In 2011, IDW will infest the comics world in new and exciting, and potentially disturbing, ways. EIC/CCO Chris Ryall, editors Andy Schmidt and Scott Dunbier, and creators offer a lively discussion of IDW’s upcoming titles, including at least two big and unexpected announcements, as well as the first hint of “Infestation,” IDW’s big 2011 event! Room 8.
- 2:00-3:00 The Guild— Now in its fourth season, The Guild is a multi-award-winning independent web series that started on YouTube and has grown into a worldwide phenomenon with over 50 million views, a groundbreaking distribution deal with Microsoft, a chart-topping song and music video, and a comic book from Dark Horse Comics. Writer/producer and Comic-Con special guest Felicia Day, producer Kim Evey, director Sean Becker, and the cast of The Guild including Wil Wheaton are on hand for a discussion and Q&A, along with the debut of never-before-seen content and other surprises. Indigo Ballroom, San Diego Hilton Bayfront.
- 4:00-5:00 Writing for Comics— Top comics writers Brian Michael Bendis (New Avengers, Powers, Secret Invasion), Marc Guggenheim (Wolverine, Resurrection), and Peter David (Incredible Hulk, X-Factor) offer a discussion and instructive tips on the art of writing for comics. Room 30CDE.
- 4:30-5:30 Disney Epic Mickey— Warren Spector (creative director, Junction Point — Disney Interactive Studios) and Peter David share their insights about bringing the world and characters of the Disney Epic Mickey video game to life in two media — video games and comic books. Room 9.
- 4:45-5:45 Universal: Paul and Cowboys & Aliens— Universal presents two upcoming films in this exclusive Hall H presentation.Paul – Scheduled to appear for Universal Pictures’ sci-fi comedy-adventure Paul are a who’s who of film comedy. Director Greg Mottola will be joined by cast members Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Jeffrey Tambor, Joe Lo Truglio, Seth Rogen, and Sigourney Weaver as they discuss the movie about two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage to Comic-Con ultimately takes them to America’s UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who takes them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever. Q&A session to follow. Hall H.
- 6:00-7:00 Roddenberry Presents— Eugene “Rod” Roddenberry (CEO, Roddenberry Productions), Trevor Roth and Tory Mell are taking the name that created Star Trek and bringing it to levels not seen since the original days of the genre-changing television show. Room 25ABC.
- 3:00-4:30 Comics Pro/Fan Trivia Match— Len Wein, Kurt Busiek, and Mark Waid face off against fans Tom Galloway, David Oakes, and Michael Grabois in a match on significant pre-Crisis DC events in celebration of DC’s 75th anniversary. Peter David will moderate. Room 4.
- 3:00-4:30 Starship Smackdown XVIII: Ultimate Platinum Collector’s Edition— The must-see panel of Comic-Con and WonderCon returns for another action-packed year as the greatest spaceships in the history of the universe and this or any other dimension compete for the highly coveted Smackdown title. Will the Enterprise once again defeat an Imperial Star Destroyer? Room 7AB.
Tags: Comic-Con 2010