Star Trek XI has added to its list of award nominations with the word that the Visual Effects Society has nominated the film in two categories.
Nominees were chosen in twenty categories in film, animation, television, commercials and video games.
Star Trek XI will be facing off against the popular Avatar, which received eleven VES nominations in seven categories.
The categories in which Star Trek XI were nominated and its competitors are:
Best Visual Effects in a Visual Effects Driven Feature Motion Picture
- 2012. Visual Effects Supervisors Volker Engel and Marc Weigert. Visual Effects Producer Josh Jaggars.
- Avatar. Animation Supervisor Richard Baneham. VFX Producer Joyce Cox. Senior Visual Effects Supervisor Joe Letteri. Overall VFX Producer Eileen Moran.
- District 9. VFX Producer Stefanie Boose. VFX Supervisor Dan Kaufman. On-set VFX Plate Supervisor Peter Muyzers. Creature Supervisor James Stewart.
- Star Trek XI. Visual Effects Supervisors Russell Earl and Roger Guyett. Special Effects Supervisor Burt Dalton. Visual Effects Producer Shari Hanson.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Animation Director Scott Benza. Visual Effects Producer Wayne Billheimer. Visual Effects Supervisor Scott Farrar. Special Effects Supervisor John Frazier.
Matte Paintings in a Feature Motion Picture
- Avatar, “Pandora”. Senior Compositor Jean-Luc Azzis. Senior Matte Painter Peter Baustaedter. Lead Matte Painters Brenton Cottman and Yvonne Muinde.
- Franklyn, “Meanwhile City Scapes”. Matte Painters Tania Richard and Christoph Unger.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. TD David Bassalla. Matte Painter Tania Richard.
- Star Trek XI. Digimatte Lead Brett Northcutt. Digimatte: Shane Roberts, Masahiko Tani and Dan Wheaton.
The 8th Annual VES Awards ceremony will be held at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles on February 28.